Taichung City holds Readers’ Theater Competition and English Singing Contest on a regular basis, so it’ll be helpful to know how other schools prepare their students for those activities. Clear instructions and procedures were introduced so that you can reflect on their strengths and come up with your own strategies when being asked to coach for your school.
How to apply RT in English teaching was shared as well, complete with specific procedures to design related activities in class. Egg painting and hunting activities can be helpful in promoting students understanding of the western culture. Moreover, we can get students to do oral presentations with group work, combining writing and speaking skills.
By using interactive flash games, like flash cards and matching games, we can incorporate this technique in our classroom, helping students retain new words longer with their interest of learning aroused. Also, we can meet the needs of learners with different learning styles.
A variety of interactive activities to enhance students’ listening comprehension and vocabulary recognition were highly recommended. Take the cell phone game for example, it can help review previously taught words based on the premise that teachers should create a learning environment for students to really practice their basic speaking skills, cognitive and meta-cognitive learning strategies.
Feedback and suggestions from the participants:
1. Well-designed cooperative activities. Slow learners’ lack of participation.
2. Overwhelmed by loads of tests and rote memorization of grammar, it’s not easy to put the idea “student-centered” into practice.
3. How to strike a balance between being innovative and keeping up with the schedule could be difficult because we are still under a lot of pressure from parents.
4. Blank-filling is too difficult for slow learners while whole-sentence translation can be more beneficial for more advanced learners.
5. It’s good to see teachers devise so many different activities. We really admire their dedication and enthusiasm for being such a wonderful English teacher and benefiting their students as well.